You know that the right pillow will help to give a deep sleep, right? However, after a long using time, your pillow can contain dust, dirt, bacteria, or mold. So, you have to clean your pillows.
There are a lot of ways to clean your pillow. So, depending on the types of pillows, you can choose different cleaning methods.
As far as I can see, cleaning a pillow doesn’t take so much time as well as effort. You can thoroughly wash it manually or using washing machine.
So, now, let’s find out the ways to clean your pillows.
1. Washing Your Pillow in The Washing Machine
You can use a washing machine to clean your pillow to save your time and effort. However, you have to follow the laundering guides on the tag. If the tag shows washing machine is allowed, you can use it to wash your pillows.
To make sure that your pillow will not be damaged, you should wash it in hot water and set the washing cycle to gentle. Also, you can add a small amount of detergent to remove the mold or bacteria on your pillow.
Besides, you ought to put a woolen laundry ball or tennis ball into the machine. This will help to remove any clumped-up stuffing.
To keep the machine balanced, you are also advised to wash two pillows at the same time. However, you should not wash over two pillows at once.
2. Putting Your Pillow in The Dryer
I am sure that you can put almost all of the pillows in the dryer at low heat. But again, you always have to follow the laundering instructions on the tag.
If the tag allows, you can toss a tennis ball with your pillow in the dryer so that clumped-up stuffing can be loosened.
If the tag shows that the dryer is not safe for your pillow, you can also dry any excess moisture by yourself. First, wrap your pillow by a towel, and then give it a hug. Finally, you need to put your pillow in a sunny spot to dry.
3. Washing Hand-Wash Your Pillow
If the machine is not safe for your pillow, you can wash it by hands in your bathtub or a large sink. The following guidelines can be useful for you.
- Step 1: Check the label to know you can wash it. If the label does not show that it is dry clean only, so you can wash it.
- Step 2: Pull the pillow out of the pillowcase or remove it from the pillow protector. If your pillowcase is stained, you need to pre-treat it before washing it.
- Step 3: If you wash it in a sink, you should choose a large sink to hold the pillow. Then, fill your bathtub or sink with hot water.
Hot water is able to kill dust mites which is living on your pillow.
- Step 4: Pour laundry detergent into the hot water. Then use your hands to swirl the water around. This will make the water bubbly.
- Step 5: Submerge the pillow in the water and press it down until it absorbs the water completely. After that, squeeze the pillow and massage the filling for several minutes.
- Step 6: Give your pillows a squeeze. Then, wash it in water for 1 to 2 minutes until the soap is obliterated.
- Step 7: Remove extra water. You need to put your wet pillow into a dry towel, and then press it down.
- Step 8: Use a dryer to dry your pillow if the label shows that it is safe. Or hang your pillow in the sunlight if you worry that the dryer will damage it
4. Cleaning Your Foam Pillow
If you use a foam pillow, you cannot wash it with water. So, you have to use a distinguishable method. You can follow some following guides:
Clean any stains by using a damp cloth.
Next, remove loose debris by using a vacuum with an upholstery brush.
Carry your pillow outside and whack it to remove any dust and skin cells.
You have to spend some time and effort on cleaning your pillow, but the result is completely worthy. Well, it is deep sleep, and positive energy for a long day.
So, why don’t you try to clean your pillow, now?